Omegle is a free online chat service that lets you talk to people without giving out your name. It works by putting two people together: “You” and “Stranger” or “Stranger 1” and “Stranger 2” for Spy mode. A year after the website’s launch in 2009, it got a video conferencing feature.
You’ll need to turn on your device’s camera if you want to use the video chat feature well. In this guide, we’ll show you how to turn on the camera on Omegle and how to let it back in if you’ve blocked it.
How to Allow Omegle to Use Your Laptop’s Camera?
For the video chat feature on Omegle to work well, you need to have a working camera and microphone. The process is usually straightforward, and it only takes one click to turn on both features.
Here’s how to use Omegle with your laptop’s camera and microphone:
- Open the default browser on your laptop and go to Omegle’s official website.
- To start a video chat, click the Video button.
- A pop-up will appear next to the address bar before you can enter a chat. The following message will be on it:
www.omegle.com would like to:
Make use of your mic.
Use your camera
- Click Allow to turn on both features. Omegle video chats will now use the camera and microphone on your laptop.
Besides that, you’ll have to permit to use the camera on the laptop manually. We’ll show you some ways to fix things so that Omegle can use your camera. Please read them and find the one that works best for you.
Fix #1: Restart your Laptop
Most bugs in your laptop can be fixed by restarting it. This will reset all of the apps on your device, which might fix the problem with Omegle’s access to your camera. It will also ask your browser to recognize your laptop’s camera, which gives it access.
After you restart your laptop, open Omegle again in your browser to see if you can now give access to the camera and microphone.
Fix #2: Clear Browsing Data on your Browser
Another way to fix the problem with your Omegle camera is to delete all your browsing history on your default browser. Even though cookies and cache help you get to some sites faster, you’ll need to clear them out if they’re causing problems on other sites, like Omegle.
Follow the steps below to clear Google Chrome’s history:
- Open Google Chrome on your computer and click the More Options menu (three vertical dots) next to your Google account’s thumbnail in the screen’s top right corner.
- Select “Settings,” then “Security and Privacy.”
- Click Remove all browsing history. There will be a pop-up window.
- Go to the tab labeled “Advanced” and uncheck the boxes next to “Cookies and other site data” and “Cached images and files.”
- Select All on the time range. Click Clear Data after that.
- Wait until the process is done, then start Google Chrome again.
- Check the video chat feature on Omegle to see if you can turn on your camera.
Fix #3: Use Another Browser on your Laptop
If you have more than one browser installed, use one of those instead of your default browser to use Omegle’s video chat feature. Windows and Mac users can find great alternatives in Mozilla Firefox and Opera.
Try going to Omegle’s main website and clicking on “Video.” Then, check to see if your laptop is asking you to let it use your camera and microphone.
Fix #4: Update Browser to the Latest Version
Updating the browser on your laptop is quick and can fix most bugs, like the one with the Omegle camera. Most newer computers have the most up-to-date browsers and can handle most updates.
Follow these steps to keep Google Chrome on your computer up-to-date:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the menu with three vertical dots that says “More Options” in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click Help and then About Google Chrome.
- Now, the browser will look for new versions. When an update is ready, click on it to start the installation.
- When it’s done, Chrome will restart for a short time.
- See if you can now use Omegle with a camera turned on.
Fix #5: Manually Allow Camera Access on Browser
If your browser doesn’t show the “Allow Access” pop-up when you go to Omegle, you can try manually granting access. This makes it possible for the camera to be available every time you go to Omegle.
Follow these steps to give Google Chrome access to your camera:
- Next to the address bar, click the lock icon and choose Site settings.
- You will now be taken to a new window that shows all of Omegle’s permissions.
- Let the camera in. You can also give access to the microphone if you want to.
- Start up Chrome again and go to Omegle. Check to see if the camera and microphone are now working.
Omegle is a free online chat service that lets you talk to people in one-on-one chat rooms while remaining anonymous. You can also choose to use their video chat feature, which will require access to your device’s camera and microphone. This guide should help you turn on the camera on your laptop so you can use it on Omegle.